All students (whether in Online Classroom or Independent Study) enrolled in Davis Connect are assigned to an Advisory class, based on grade level. Advisory is held in 45-minute class sessions at 11:00AM every Wednesday, beginning the first Wednesday of school. All students will have an Advisory teacher, regardless of program choice or scheduling conflicts.
- Prepare – students will learn about important schoolwide activities and events (announcements), attend schoolwide virtual assemblies, and participate in school counselor presentations on graduation, college, career, and school registration information
- Aim – students will determine ways in which they can be successful and participate in weekly SMART goal-setting activities that are focused on their personal and academic progress
- Work – students will engage in lessons that teach them important interpersonal skills, help them recognize their strengths and talents, and provide them opportunities for accountability by checking in weekly with their Advisory teacher and Student Success Mentor
- Succeed – preparing, aiming, and working with their Advisory teacher and Student Success Mentor will provide students with the best structure and tools to stay connected and succeed in the online setting for today and the future
- Provide students with the opportunity to build a positive relationship with a specific adult for guidance and advocacy
- Personalize the secondary school experience for each student
- Help students develop and evaluate SMART goals to succeed academically
- Help students develop social skills as they interact with their peers in a supportive environment**
- Help students plan for future careers and educational opportunities**
**All transitory materials will be reviewed as per policy 4I-200 1.1.2 Links to resources are not vetted beyond the original page cited
Advisory classes are graded as Pass(P)/Fail(F) and, for students in grades 9-12, generate graduation credit. Academic grades in Advisory WILL impact a student’s GPA and may impact a student’s eligibility to participate in extra-curricular activities. Students will be awarded .25 elective credits for their participation in the full-year course.
Students earn a “P” by:
Attending the live Advisory sessions at least 50% of the time (or are on an attendance exemption) †
Participating in discussions, activities, and lessons in Advisory (or are on an attendance exemption) †
Checking in weekly with Advisory teacher and Student Success Mentor
Students earn an “F” and lose Academic credit by:
- Having less than 50% attendance in live sessions*
- Refusing to participate in discussions, activities, and lessons in Advisory
- Failing to check in weekly with Advisory teacher and Student Success Mentor
*Once a student receives 4 unexcused absences, they should be referred to their counselor. Students receiving a lowered academic grade related to live attendance/participation is ONLY applicable to academic intervention classes, such as Advisory, Math Lab, etc. However, teachers will work with students on improving attendance and participation to earn a “P”. Individual student exemptions† may be made at the administrative level on a case-by-case basis.
†Attendance exemption must be approved by administration and are generally only granted for schedule conflicts for students who are blending a schedule or working full-time