Details: Independent Study 7-12
For students who want to work independently and submit assignments in Canvas at their own pace, within regular term deadlines, while having access to an online teacher to ask questions about content.
Content Delivery & Instruction
- Parent acts as the instructional guide (learning coach) using district designed courses in Canvas.
- Davis Connect follows the Davis Essential Skills & Knowledge (DESK) standards for each content area.
- Teacher of record will monitor student progress throughout the course, answer questions about the content, and provide feedback and scores on all assessments.
- A Student Success Mentor will check in with student and/or parent monthly.
- Students will participate in all required district and state standardized testing.
- Students will receive prompt, personalized, and specific feedback from their teacher.
- Students will have a variety of course options to choose from, including core and elective courses.
- Student can work ahead and complete courses at their own pace, within term deadlines.
- Students are expected to maintain a minimum pacing consistent with the recommended due dates on all assessments in the course and complete courses by the end of each term.
- Students are expected to check in monthly or more often with their Student Success Mentor.
- Students who have not been actively engaging in a course for ten days may be dropped from the course and/or Davis Connect.
- Students with a 504 plan or Special Education Individualized Education Plan (IEP) will have their accommodations provided.
- IEP services will be provided by their case manager, with a combination of general education and special education class time.
- Prior to enrolling with Davis Connect, the IEP team at the boundary school will meet to determine appropriate service, program, and location.
- Optional in-person activities, field trips, assemblies, dances, etc. will be scheduled throughout the year.
- Students can also participate in eSports, virtual clubs, and online activities.
- If desired, students can participate in athletics through their boundary school.
Comparison Charts (Click to Enlarge PDF)
Davis Connect 7-12 Course Listing (Click to Enlarge PDF)
CORE (English, Math, Science, Social Studies) and Electives