Details: A La Carte Independent Study 7-12
For students who want to work independently and submit assignments in Canvas at their own pace, throughout the entire school year (courses remain open from the day of enrollment until the last day of school or until the student finishes, whichever comes first), while having access to an online teacher to ask questions about content. These courses are available for students who want a few online classes to get ahead, make room in their schedule, and/or make up missing credit.
Content Delivery & Instruction
- Parent acts as the instructional guide (learning coach) using district designed courses in Canvas.
- Davis Connect follows the Davis Essential Skills & Knowledge (DESK) standards for each content area.
- Teacher of record will monitor student progress throughout the course, answer questions about the content, and provide feedback and scores on all assessments.
- A Student Success Mentor will check in with student and/or parent monthly.
- Students will participate in all required district and state standardized testing.
- Students will receive prompt, personalized, and specific feedback from their teacher.
- Students will have a variety of course options to choose from including core and elective courses.
- Student can work ahead and complete courses at their own pace, within the current school year (from enrollment in the course until the last day of school, excluding summer.
- Students are expected to maintain a minimum pacing consistent with the recommended due dates on all assessments in the course and complete courses prior to the end of the school year.
- Students are expected to check in monthly or more often with their Student Success Mentor.
- Students who have not been actively engaging in a course for ten days may be dropped from the course and/or Davis Connect.
- Students with a 504 plan or Special Education Individualized Education Plan (IEP) will have their accommodations provided.
- IEP services will be provided by their case manager, with a combination of general education and special education class time.
- Prior to enrolling with Davis Connect, the IEP team at the boundary school will meet to determine appropriate service, program, and location.
- Optional in-person activities, field trips, assemblies, dances, etc. will be scheduled throughout the year.
- Students can also participate in eSports, virtual clubs, and online activities.
- If desired, students can participate in athletics through their boundary school